Events in brief December 2018
- Pound Clean up – 1st and 2nd December *******Cancelled due to weather forecast as high winds and rain********
- Christmas Decorations Participatory work party – 7th December – 1800 – 2000
- Club Christmas Party with Club DJ and Buffet – 8th December – 1930 – 2300
- Radio Sailing – 9th December – 1100
- Coffee Club Christmas Get Together with Free Buffet- Tuesday 18th December – 1200 – 1400 (All club members welcome)
- Christmas Quiz Evening – Friday 21st December – 1930 – 2300 (Quiz Master John Rushmer)
- Commodore at Home – Boxing Day – 1230 – 1500 (First drink free for members, members families and guests)
- New Years Eve Party with Club DJ (American Supper bring a dish event) 2000 – 0100
Club Gate Update
Unfortunately the gate is out of action. The motor has been sent away for diagnosis or replacement, we will update members with any further developments as we receive them. In the meantime please remember your key for the side gate and padlock on the main gate.
Cruisers and Foresails
Reminder to members who have cruisers ashore. Please remove your foresails. With the winter upon us unfurling foresails can cause massive damage to your boats and other members boats if they unfurl in the high winds we are expecting this winter.
Pound Clean up work party weekend (Cancelled due to weather forecast)
However please still attend the club when you can to check on your boats and ensure that your pound space is free of rubbish. Thank you in advance for ensuring that the pound is a safe place to be. Updates about a pound clean up in the new year will be set as soon as we can. Thank you to Stephen Webb and Ralph Quin for emailing Malcolm to volunteer.
Christmas Decorations Participatory Hours work party Friday 7th December 6pm
Looking for volunteers to help out on the 7th December at 6 pm to put up the club Christmas decorations. Please email email@example.com if you are available to help.
Club Christmas party with DJ Saturday 8th December 1930-2300 – (Two spaces left)
The Christmas Party list is now updated and there are 2 spaces left. If you wish to be added to a list please add your name to the list at the club or email firstname.lastname@example.org with full names of those attending and weather they are members or guests. The list will be treated on a first come first served basis.
Radio Sailing update and next date for Sailing
Coffee Club Christmas Get Together
Join other club members at the club on Tuesday 18th December 2018 between 1200 and 1400 for a buffet prepared by members. This is a get together that takes place yearly as a thank you to the Tuesday Club and those that spend a huge amount of their free time ensuring that all of the essential maintenance is carried out to the Club House and surrounding pound and moorings. Please join us to thank this amazing group and others who help to keep the club running so smoothly every year.
Christmas Quiz Evenings
Friday 21st of December from 1930 – 2300 is the Christmas Quiz. John Rushmer is your Quiz Master. Friday 11th of January is the first quiz of 2019 and your host from last weeks quiz winning team is Ieuan Stanley.
The quiz nights are always very successful events and it is great to see members supporting them and having some fun. For the past two quiz nights its has been difficult to organise due to unforeseen complications with having a quiz master. With the exception of the Christmas Quiz all quizzes are run by a team member from the winning team of the previous one. Please bear this in mind when taking part and if you are the winning team discuss who will be covering the next one as Quiz Master and update the social team by email at email@example.com. Please also remember that the quiz master when signing up the teams must collect £2 per head and place it in a pint glass towards the winning teams prize of a bar token each at the end of the quiz and in support of future social events at the club. We hope that the last two quizzes have not put members off and we apologise for any inconsistency in their running. When ever possible we will also be running a raffle with a prize.
Commodore at Home Boxing Day
Come to the club and relax over a pint, glass of wine or soft drink. Get together with other club members for a friendly drink. First drink free to club members, their families and guests. See you at 1230 to 3pm. We will will also be running the Christmas Raffle over the next few weeks with purchase of a number available behind the bar now when the bar is open. The draw will take place at this event.
New Years Eve Party with Club DJ
This events planning is complete and will be a celebration seeing in the New Year starting at 2000 New Years Eve through to 0100 New Years day. The food on the evening is an American Supper please bring a dish home made or purchased to add to the spread. We hope to see you there!
Round the Island Race
The 29th June is the Round the Island Race. Through Facebook some members have expressed an interest in taking part in this big event on the Solent. If you would like to sign up to show an interest in this event please email Rob Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org and the Rear Commodore Sailing at email@example.com.
Club Launch Winter Maintenance
The club launch is now ashore. There is a winter checklist for maintenance of the launch which you can volunteer to assist with to complete participatory hours. To sign up please see the participatory hours sign up board to the right of the coffee and tea making area. It is requested that if you can assist that all maintenance tasks are completed before Christmas. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
Club Launch Helm Training and Club Authorisation to use.
On the main notice board in the foyer at the club is a sign up sheet for those that wish to be shown over the workings of the club launch. Please note that this is not training on how to drive the launch but a guide on its use plus mooring and coming alongside a cruiser. It is advised that if you have no training in the past or never driven a boat/cruiser/safety boat that you first complete a course that covers the subject for safety reasons.
The person showing members over the launch has the authority to approve members to drive the launch. If that person believes that the member is not competent in the use of the launch then authority will not be granted. If this happens please contact email@example.com so that some guidance can be given as to how this can be remedied. This could be as simple as accompanying an authorised club member when the launch is in use to have a further chance to get used to the boat and how she handles.
Please note that the launch is always booked as unavailable whenever a cruiser race is to take place.
What you can sign the club launch out for is below as long as it is not booked for club organised activities:
- Local Saunters
- Taking members to their boats for a rally or to go sailing
- Cruiser Racing
- Accompanying juniors on sailaways as arranged by the RYA Principal and Sailing Sub Committee
- Other tasks and events as approved by the Sailing Sub Committee
Please see the list of participatory tasks below or see the participatory whiteboard at the club just inside the back door on the right.
There is now a board at the club in the function room with co-opted role descriptions on it. If you can volunteer for a particular role please either fill in the sign up sheet just in front of the board or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All roles count towards completion of participatory hours and training and guidance can be organised if required.
- Volunteer sought to organise and plan the clubs cruiser race calendar for 2019. Please contact email@example.com to help with this important task. This task would start as soon as possible. Training can be provided if required.
- Cruiser race organiser and SWSA representative sought for 2019. Unfortunately if no volunteer is found the HSC Race calendar will be a much reduced race itinerary for next year. Training for this role and its requirements is available if required.
- Marketing lead to run the clubs marketing for 2019 this includes arranging and attending events where a stand is put up at local Boat Jumbles and Fun Days to promote the club and find new members. Also includes updating the club calendar with events and monitoring Facebook and Twitter accounts as an admin, designing posters for putting up and advertising club events using an online software called LUCIDPRESS or POSTERMYWALL. This role could be shared making the work load easier.
- All co-opted roles. Please speak to the current Flag Officer leading the committee you wish to assist and advise on which co-opted position you would like to cover. Co-opted roles are the decision of the Flag Officer who chairs that committee.
- House Events Coordinator please contact the Rear Commodore House (John Rushmer) regarding this role or the current House Events Coordinator Rachel Wright.