Events in Brief.
- Friday 24th January 1930-2300 – Quiz Night
- Saturday 25th January 1845-2300 Cinema Night (Film Following Seas) Food orders are now closed however if you wish to attend you may still do so. Food will be served between 1845 and 1915 and the film is programmed to start at 1945. The bar will be open before and after the film. We hope to see you there!
- Saturday 1st February 2020 1400-1800 6 Nations Wales v Italy and Ireland v Scotland
- Tuesday 28th January 1000-1300 – Gents Showers Work Party (Participatory Hours) Please sign up here
- Sunday 2nd February 2020 1500-1700 6 Nations Rugby England v France
- Saturday 8th February 2020 1700 – 2100 Pizza and Cinema evening for club juniors. Film being shown “Swallows and Amazons 2019” £2 per young member includes Pizza. Please ensure that you accompany your juniors during the event. Event starts at 5 pm with Pizza followed by the movie starting at approximately 6-6.30 pm. Young guests of members welcome.
- Saturday 15th February 1200-1400 – Spirit of Mayflower Rally to Plymouth Meeting (all welcome)
- Saturday 15th February 1400 – 1600 Kayak Club Sign up or book Kayak here
- Sunday 16th February 1130-1300 – New Members Meeting with Light Buffet (All members welcome) Sign Up Here
- Sunday 16th February 1500 – 1700 Radio Sailing, register your boat here Register Here and Book Club Radio Controlled Boat Here
- Saturday 22nd February 2020, 1930 – 2300.Sailing Around the World Darts Tournament – Sign Up here
- Wednesday 26th February 1930-2300. “Marilyn’s” Choice of two meals at £5 a head. Chilli in taco shells with sour cream or cauliflower cheese with garlic bread. To book your meal please Sign Up here
- Sunday 8th March 1300 – Parents and Juniors Meeting
- Saturday 14th March 1900 – 2330 – Commodores Ball. Sign up now available at the club on the social board at the club. Please note spaces are limited so book early to avoid disappointment
- Saturday 14th March 2020 – 1130 am Dinghy Race OOD Training and Dinghy Race Spring 1. Race starts at 1300, training for OOD starts at 1130 am. Sign Up here
- Saturday 15th March 1330 – 1530 Kayak Club Sign up or book Kayak here
- Friday 20th March 1930 – 2300 – SWSA Prize Giving Dinner at Hythe Sailing Club (Contact Phil Pascoe for full details and booking at email@example.com)
- Saturday 28th March 1000 – 1500 – Prepare Club Boats for new sailing season and Recreational Sail
- Saturday 28th March 1900 – 2300 Grand Auction. Bring your unwanted working boat and non nautical items or come along and grab yourself a bargain.
- Sunday 29th March 1100-1500 Open Coaching, Dinghy Instructor Sought contact Julie Stanley at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help on this date
- Friday 10th April to Monday 13th April – OOD (Keith Gough) Hardway Sailing Club (Gosport) Easter Rally Sign Up Here
- Saturday 25th April 1100 – Club Launch Familiarisation Sign Up Here
- Sunday 17th May from 1800 – Cruiser Race Spring 1 (1900 start) and OOD Training (1730 Start) Sign Up Here
- Plymouth Rally Plymouth Regatta and Mayflower 400th Anniversary) Monday 6th July 2020 – Monday 20th July 2020 (Updates to follow) Please sign up here. Sign Up Here
***NEW*** RADIO SAILORS PLEASE REGISTER FOR THE 2020 RACING SEASON Please follow this link Register Here
***NEW*** GENTS SHOWERS UPDATE One of the projects approved at the AGM in 2019 within the budget is the Gents Showers redesign and rebuild. This involves removing the wall and fitting three shower cubicles with their own changing areas. The area is now being prepared for the works to start and the club are planning to have the improvements complete by the middle of March this year. These shower units will be in the same setup as the ladies showers. Please be aware when entering the area of the gents changing rooms over the next few weeks that works may be in progress. Volunteers are being sought on Tuesday 24th January between 1000 and 1400 to help remove the walls around the gents showers and move the rubble outside plus other works to prepare the area. If you can help please Please sign up here. Thank you in advance for volunteering.
***NEW*** Participatory Hours Lead Email address If you are looking to complete Participatory Hours and would like to know what you can do to help complete your hours and help the club the new email address is email@example.com and the lead is Lee Hambidge.
IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ (PARTICIPATORY HOURS OPPORTUNITIES, DINGHY INSTRUCTORS, RALLIES, SAUNTERS, BEACHMASTER and CRUISER RACE OOD’s) This year we are looking for volunteers to help out at the Open Coaching Events as Dingy Instructors, Beachmaster, OOD’s for Rallies/Saunters and OOD’s for Cruiser Racing. Please volunteer to help the club run these events. A list of dates where we are looking for volunteers and a role description are available at the link and a form to sign up below. Please be patient with the website when pressing submit. See list and sign up here
IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ
Direct Debit Scheme
We are introducing a new Direct Debit system that is being piloted on this years Membership subscriptions. It is anticipated that an option to pay other HSC invoices using this system may be available in the future. The process is being managed by a company called GoCardless and members wishing to join the scheme will be receive an invitation directly from them.
Members will have the option to pay their HSC invoices by Direct Debit (with a small transaction fee) or by BACS for which there is no additional charge. (Membership invoices paid by Direct Debit may be monthly or annually). As previously announced the club is no longer able to accept payment by cash or cheque. GoCardless charges are substantially less than those of credit card companies.
Payment for Membership renewal is due on 1st February 2020 and all members will shortly be receiving their subscription invoices. Please ensure that you pay on time, either by BACS transfer or by signing up to the new direct debit system. NOTE .. The subscription is an annual charge, Members paying monthly are liable for the outstanding balance if they elect to leave the club earlier in the membership year.
If you have an queries related to the Direct Debit Scheme or Subscription invoices then please contact Dave Orriss firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about GoCardless can be found at https://gocardless.com
For the full information sheet about the direct debit system Please select here
Participatory Membership Scheme
Under the new rules approved at the AGM in November 2019 all members in membership classes below are required to complete 15 hours participatory work for the club. Anyone not completing their hours by 31 December 2020 will have a surcharge of £96.00 applied to their 2021 renewal. There is no longer any need for you to opt in or out of the 2020 scheme and there will be no “up front” surcharges. More details will be included in your renewal invoice.
Single – Family – Senior Single – Senior Partner – Junior Single
Lee Hambidge has volunteered to co-ordinate some of the activities to better align tasks with members skills and available time and he can be contacted at email@example.com.
In the next few days records cards for ALL eligible member will be placed in the books in the downstairs meeting area. Note that those that are exempt on grounds of age (Aged 72 or over on 1/1/202020) will still have a card should they wish to record their hours for personal interest.
Dave Orriss – Honorary Membership Secretary
Commodore Gala Dinner is set for Saturday March 14th 1930-2330. This will be a strictly ticket only event and spaces are limited to 60. Black tie for gents and best frock for the ladies. This will be a 3 course sit down meal served by waiting staff and will include tea and coffee after. The price for this will be £30.00 per ticket this will also include free entry to the prize draw for a chance to win one of our extra special prizes. The menu choice is now posted on the social board at the club outside the galley door. Get your names in early as space is limited. By putting your name down you are agreeing to pay even if don’t attend.
Pizza and Cinema evening (Swallows and Amazons modern version) for club juniors.
£2 per young member. Please ensure that you accompany your juniors during the event. Event starts at 5 pm with Pizza followed by the movie starting at approximately 6-6.30 pm. Young guests of members welcome. Please sign up at the club if your young member is joining us for the event or Sign Up here
Grand Auction Saturday 28th March 1900 – 2300
Join us for the return of our Grand Auction. Bring your unwanted working boat and non nautical items or come along and grab yourself a bargain. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and list of items and reserve if any. Please note 10% donated to social fund that supports future social events at the club.
“Marilyn’s” Food at the Club
Due to popular demand the club have found a volunteer to put together some ideas and events around food at the club. The first trial event will be held on Wednesday 26th February 2020 with food served from 20:00 costing £5 per head. Dependant on the success of the event Marilyn will look at other possible events throughout the year on some Wednesdays and Sundays. To book your meal please sign up on the club Social Board or online through the bulletin. Marilyn is also looking for two volunteers under particpatory hours to help on the night with serving and help in the galley, if you can help out please email Marilyn at email@example.com. Please book early as spaces are limited to 20 during the trial events. Sign Up here
Meal Option 1 – Cauliflower Cheese with Garlic Bread (£5 a head)
Meal Option 2 – Chilli in Taco Shells with Sour Cream (£5 a head)
****Please note that once signed up for a meal payment will be expected even if you cannot attend.****
Rigging Equipment needed for jetty reconstruction
As part of our work on reconstructing the club jetty, we wish to assemble some block-and-tackle arrangements for lifting and lowering equipment. For this we need EIGHT SINGLE-SHEAVE-BLOCKS, suitable for rope diameters of 10mm or larger. If any members have old blocks of this type, surplus to their requirements, which they are willing to donate to the club, then they will be put to good use. Please contact Ken Endean or leave them in the ‘E’ pigeon hole at the club. Thank you.
RYA Training Section/Courses
Short Range Radio Course (VHF-DSC) 15 Feb 2020
SRC = Short Range Radio Certificate DSC Digital Selective Calling, included in most most modern radios. GMDSS – Global Maritime Distress Safety System.
Cost £70* including VHF Hand Book plus RYA exam fee of £60.
The Short Range Certificate is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on any British flagged vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This includes both fixed and hand held equipment using International channels.
A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call.
This is the full course and an examiner has been arranged to arrive at 16 30 PM. There will be some pre-reading to do resources for this will be in Pigeon holes at the club at least a week before.
Further info at 07834733323 or firstname.lastname@example.org
***NEW*** Power boat Level 2 Saturday March 28th and Sunday March 29th. Two places available. Please email Julie Stanley at email@example.com to book if interested in this course.
For Sale Section
FOR SALE Cruiser Trailer in Row C. Suitable for Fin Keel or Long Keel with some modification. See mooring and pound board at the club for exact location it is the only blank position in row C on the board. Please contact Roger Hayward for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR SALE £1800 Falmouth Gypsy based at HSC. A great deal of work has been completed and the owner has sailed her extensively over the last 2 years. She is still work in progress but is a good solid boat with GRP hull, triple encapsulated keels and great Sabb 10 HP inboard diesel. She has a new genoa with only one season’s use, good main and a couple of spares, sink, cooker, separate heads compartment, water tank etc. Running rigging has been replaced and had a bespoke tiller made for her. 24 ft and 4 berth. She also has VHF, depth sounder and log.
For more details and a viewing please contact Bede Strong. 07734303899
Wanted – Yard trailer suitable to adapt for a 33ft 5.7ft draft fin keel. Please contact Jon Nash if you are selling something suitable on 07793228187 or email email@example.com.
For Sale Dinghy cover to suit 8ft Dinghy as new not used £25. Contact Ray Wheeler 02380732865 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sandpiper —25 foot 4 Berth fin keel GRP Folkboat. 4 foot draft. Reduced to £3500 ONO. Well known local boat excellent for cruising or racing with 2 suits sails ,nearly new Bruce Banks £2k racing set ( Main Jib and Genoa)and Cruising sails with both racing and cruising spinnakers. Stainless steel rigging replaced £700. Comes with Tahatsui Outboard rebuilt and running in.Instruments comprise Navcom Radio ,Compass, depth and speed indicators. Electric bilge pump and manual pump.Heavy duty Battery replaced this year. Range of kit including fenders etc, dinghy, wheeled cradle, full size boat cover and boat stand. Lying ashore at Hythe Sailing Club.
For more details or to view contact Peter Barnard. Mob 07709111071 or email email@example.com
For Sale (£1200 ONO without cradle) Thames Marine Snapdragon 21 foot
Currently Ashore at Hythe Sailing Club, Southampton comes with cradle (extra £300) if required. Bilge Keel, Good Condition with Gas Hob, Sink, water tank pump, 2 sails (Main and Genoa), New forestay, outboard 4hp, electric bilge pump, VHF Radio, Basic Garmin Navigator. Good starter boat or day boat To view contact Peter Egan 07812355418 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Posted 6/12/2019.
For Sale – Classic , Swedish built sailing cruiser with GRP hull , wooden uppers and teak deck
“Baltic Lady”, a Vindo 40, is reluctantly for sail owing to lack of time to sail her. She is a really nice looking boat with a long keel making her exceptionally stable and sea kindly. Her hull is GRP so whilst she has the appearance of a classic there aren’t the risks and maintenance associated with a wooden hull. Her decks are teak and she has wooden uppers and cockpit and has a traditional feel. Being of Swedish origins she is very well built and very sound.
She is 5 berth ( 6 if hammock berth included ) with two cabins , a galley area , chart table and separate heads with a pull out basin . She is powered by a Volvo 2030 engine and has the usual array of instrumentation including radar, and a chart plotter etc.
She is in good order and ready to sail.
I have her on the market with Network Yacht Brokers at Lymington (see link for details : https://www.networkyachtbrokers.com/boats_for_sale/Vindo_40-04441.html/ ) at £24,450 but am open to reasonable offers below this and will include a tender and trailer within the price.
She is on the left side of the club (looking out to sea) and is the last boat on the left next to the water. If you are interested give me a call and I would be delighted to show you around.
Dave Quirk Tel 01962 736965