History

Club History

The formation of Hythe (Southampton) Sailing Club took place in 1957.
A group of about twenty people, most of whom were local to Hythe, got together for an inaugural meeting, at which Captain Donald Depledge was appointed chairman.
Amongst those original twenty were Fred Richmond, who was one of the Clubs four Trustees in the 80's. Another founder member was Mr. J Holmes who was a director of the West Cliff Hall Hotel, and at the Club’s first Annual General Meeting he was elected as the first Commodore.
For him this was a somewhat ‘honorary’ title as he did not sail, but it was because of him that the Club found its first home; he arranged, at a modest rent, for the members to have the use of a semi-basement room in the hotel building, and the use of two small sheds at the head of a nearby creek.
Later, as the Club membership began to grow, a wooden building was purchased from Mullards for the sum of £20, transported to the site on a local coal merchants lorry and eventually erected close by the first two sheds. This then became the first clubhouse owned by the club.
In 1964 the club moved to the current location, when land reclamation work was carried the the current Hythe Pier (part of which is now the marina). Various projects were completed over the next thirty years, and in the 90's, the current purpose build club house was built.
The club's facilities continue to be improved, for the benefit of the club members, and the local community.

Further details about the club can be seen in a history of the club written in 1986 - it is is available by clicking here.