Events in brief:
- Saturday 7th December Xmas Party 19.30 – 01.00
- Friday 13th December Quiz Night 20.00
- Saturday 14th December Christmas Card Competition Prize giving 1300 with Pizza and a chance to meet Marcin and his wife to discuss Junior Social Events. We have seen some great cards and it was difficult to choose the best ones as they were all so amazing. The winners have now been chosen, all who took part will receive prizes and a certificate with a copy of their card with winners having 5 each to send out to family and friends.
- Saturday 14th December 1100 Dinghy Race Winter 4
- Tuesday 17th December 1200-1400 Coffee Club Christmas Get Together (All members welcome to join club members for a buffet and say thank you to the Tuesday Club for all their hard work this year maintaining the club, the bar will be Open for this event)
- Tuesday 24th December Carols and Mince pies 20.00-22.00
- Thursday 26th December Commodore at Home 13.00 – 15.00 (Includes the Christmas Raffle)
- Tuesday 31st December New Years Eve Fancy Dress 70’s, 80’s (Optional) with American Supper 20.00 – 01.00. Please complete the form at the link if you are attending or sign up on the noticeboard at the club. Sign up here
- Cinema Night (Following Seas) 25th January 2020 1845-2300 (with optional Baked Potato and Chilli or Beans) To attend the event please complete the form here. Sign up here
- Saturday 14th March 2020 – 1130 am Dinghy Race OOD Training and Dinghy Race Spring 1. Race starts at 1300, training for OOD starts at 1130 am. Sign Up here
- Saturday 28th March 1900 – 2300 Join us for the return of our Grand Auction. Bring your unwanted working boat and non nautical items or come along and grab yourself a bargain.
- Saturday 25th April 1100 – Club Launch Familiarisation Sign Up Here
- Sunday 17th May from 1800 – Cruiser Race Spring 1 (1900 start) and OOD Training (1730 Start) Sign Up Here
- Plymouth Rally Plymouth Regatta and Mayflower 400th Anniversary) Monday 6th July 2020 – Monday 20th July 2020 (Updates to follow) Please sign up here. Sign Up Here
HSC Free Membership Draw This is a free to enter membership draw. To win a member must be over 18, be present in the bar with a drink in his/her hand (does not have to be an alcoholic drink) and be in possession of a valid paid up membership card. Please note the rules will be strictly applied. Prize if you qualify is a bottle of spirits, your choice of rum, whiskey or gin. If your name is drawn but you do not fulfil the criteria your name will be published in the next bulletin, sadly there will be no prize. The draw will take place at random times whilst the bar is open. Remember you have to be there to win! The first draw took place on Wednesday Evening this week and member Stuart Gair’s membership number was drawn but he was not there so no winner on this occasion.
Commodore at Home event (Boxing Day) and Christmas Squares Raffle Join us for a Christmas drink and the raffle. The squares draw is now available to enter at the bar. £1.00 per square, please fill in your name, phone number and/or email address clearly on the sheet. Lots of prizes. The draw will take place at the Commodore at Home event on Boxing Day. No limit to how many squares you can buy. Please leave £1.00 per square in the glass on the bar. Good Luck.
Security at the club As members are aware a lot of work is continuing to improve the security at the club. Please help us stay secure by checking the front and rear doors of the clubhouse before you leave as it has been noted that both doors were left unlocked recently. Also please see the link below for one of the possible options for security alarms on your boats. Systems are available on Amazon and very easy to fit sending a text message and voice call to you if the sensors are triggered.
Volunteer Sought Carols and Mince Pies evening Christmas Eve The club are looking for a volunteer to run this evening event. If you can help with planning some song sheets and itinerary for the evening please contact John Rushmer in person or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If the club do not find a volunteer the evening will still run with Christmas Music, socialising and Mince Pies.
Volunteer Sought to repaint and concrete in the start flags post by the start hut in the dinghy pound Please email email@example.com if you can help with this.
Volunteers Sought for Dinghy Race OOD and Safety Boat Crew 2020 (Training available) The planning is well underway for the 2020 race season and we are now looking for volunteers to be OOD for the Dinghy Racing next year from those that do not race and require participatory hours or just want to help out at the club and learn about something new. The intention is to run a training session for Dinghy Race OOD on the first race of the season Saturday 14th March 2020 from 1130 am and this will also include the opportunity to get on the water as Safety Boat Crew to learn the ropes if you wish. It is a great way to get out on the water and help free up as many racing members as possible to take part. Please sign up here to volunteer to help out. Sign Up here
Volunteers Sought for Cruiser Race OOD 2020 (Training available) The planning is well underway for the 2020 race season and we are now looking for volunteers to be OOD for the Cruiser Racing next year from those that do not race and require participatory hours or just want to help out at the club to learn something new. The intention is to run a training session for the Club Launch on Saturday 25th April 11am (familiarisation by Dave Sparks) Sign Up Here if you are not already authorised to drive the launch. Then on the first race of the season a training session on becoming an OOD on the first race of 2020 Sunday 17th May 2020 from 1730. It is a great way to get out on the water and help free up as many racing members as possible to take part. If you can help please sign up here. Sign Up Here
Abandoned Topper Dinghy and a separate trailer now under TORT notice The dinghy in the photos has no identification on it and was located in the far right corner of the dinghy pound. If it belongs to you please email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com as a matter of urgency. At this time if the dinghy is not claimed by the 6th of January 2020 ownership will pass to the club and it will be sold. Please note the trailer was not with the dinghy and we are also trying to identify this as well and the same applies. Thank you in advance.
Abandoned Tender in Row D now under TORT notice The tender in the photos has no identification on it and it is unknown as to who owns it. If it belongs to you please email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com as a matter of urgency. At this time if the tender is not claimed by the 6th of January 2020 ownership will pass to the club and it will be sold. Thank you in advance.
AGM Update Thank you all members who made it to the AGM, with approximately 90 members present it was nice to see so much support and the club house full. Firstly thank you Tim Harrison for your support and hard work in the Rear Commodore Sailing role and welcome to Chalky (Andrew White) his successor. Also standing for the position was Lee Hambidge who gave a brilliant introduction to his experiences and what he can do to help the club progress for the future and in the role however he was pipped at the post. The good news is we are not losing Lee’s expertise he has already volunteered to help in supporting Chalky in the coming year which is brilliant news, thank you Lee and well done Chalky!
Changes that were agreed by the membership were:
- Joining Fee abolished in favour of a standard admin fee
- General Committee meetings per year reduced from 10 to 8 due to more communication by email
- Participatory hours amended rule to pay at the end of the year instead of the beginning and all members automatically are participatory. Basically if you do 15 hours you do not pay the extra surcharge
Two proposals did not pass, these were to reduce the hours required to 12 or another proposal to increase it to 24. Due to the neither of the proposed amendments being accepted by the membership the required hours will remain at 15.
AWARDS CEREMONY The award ceremony was very busy this year with so many members receiving well deserved recognition by the club for their hard work over many years making the club a cost effective place to be and a supportive place to be at. Without their hard work and dedication to the club and the sport of sailing we could not operate giving so much opportunity to enjoy being on and off the water. Please note that if you have a nomination for a member who I have overlooked this year and anyone who you see is going above and beyond to help the club and members please let me know for next years awards by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Young Member of the Year 2019: Filip Wojcik (Young member of the year trophy and certificate)
- Fellows of the Club: Dave Sparks, Julie Stanley, Ken Endean, Mick Mitchell, Mike Urand, Paul Beverley-Smith, Phil Pascoe, Sue Mitchell, Ted Trim, Tony Benton, Trevor Tennison, Chris Adlard, Malcolm Rumsey (Engraved glass, Club Fellows Tie and Certificate)
- Certificate of appreciation presented by Commodore: Sean Callen, Ieuan Stanley, Rod Morris (Engraved Pint Glass and Certificate)
- Ted Trim D-DAY Cup Flask for winning this years D-Day Cup Race – Presented by Mick Mitchell/Sue Mitchell
Important Reminder Participatory hours this year are due to be complete by the 31st December. If you do not wish to be pay the surcharge on top of next years membership fees please ensure that you sign up to complete your hours here on the bulletin or email email@example.com to volunteer some of your time to avoid paying the extra on your membership. At this time there are many tasks that members can help with to finish their hours including cleaning the wet room area, cleaning up the Jack storage locker ready for repair plus repainting, the jetty project, helping to put up the clubs Christmas decorations, building the racking in the new Kayak Store, cleaning the slipway, scraping and maintenance of the pontoons, assisting in making the deep water sinkers or helping at some of the upcoming events. We are also looking for a volunteer to rejuvenate the Flag Post by the start hut which will need cleaning up and repainting.
New Years Eve Party with American Supper (Fancy Dress Optional 60’s, 70’s, 80’s theme) December 31st 1930 – 0100. We hope you will join us to see in the new year.
Grand Auction Saturday 28th March 1900 – 2300 Join us for the return of our Grand Auction. Bring your unwanted working boat and non nautical items or come along and grab yourself a bargain. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and list of items and reserve if any. Please note 10% donated to social fund that supports future social events at the club.
New Social Board position at the Club The Social Board for House events sign up and advertising is now to the left of the Galley door in the function room.
Volunteers sought for AI, DI and SI In 2020 there will be an opportunity to develop your skills if you wish sponsored by the club to become an Assistant Dinghy Instructor, Dinghy Instructor or Senior Instructor. In return for the club paying for the training it would be expected that you volunteer to attend and support Open Coaching Events 6 – 8 times a year. If you would like to take up this opportunity please select the link and fill in the form. https://hythesailingclub.co.uk/?post_type=ai1ec_event&p=5078&preview=true
For Sale (£1200 ONO without cradle) Thames Marine Snapdragon 21 foot
Currently Ashore at Hythe Sailing Club, Southampton comes with cradle (extra £300) if required. Bilge Keel, Good Condition with Gas Hob, Sink, water tank pump, 2 sails (Main and Genoa), New forestay, outboard 4hp, electric bilge pump, VHF Radio, Basic Garmin Navigator. Good starter boat or day boat To view contact Peter Egan 07812355418 or email email@example.com. Posted 6/12/2019.
For Sale – Classic , Swedish built sailing cruiser with GRP hull , wooden uppers and teak deck
“Baltic Lady”, a Vindo 40, is reluctantly for sail owing to lack of time to sail her. She is a really nice looking boat with a long keel making her exceptionally stable and sea kindly. Her hull is GRP so whilst she has the appearance of a classic there aren’t the risks and maintenance associated with a wooden hull. Her decks are teak and she has wooden uppers and cockpit and has a traditional feel. Being of Swedish origins she is very well built and very sound.
She is 5 berth ( 6 if hammock berth included ) with two cabins , a galley area , chart table and separate heads with a pull out basin . She is powered by a Volvo 2030 engine and has the usual array of instrumentation including radar, and a chart plotter etc.
She is in good order and ready to sail.
I have her on the market with Network Yacht Brokers at Lymington (see link for details : https://www.networkyachtbrokers.com/boats_for_sale/Vindo_40-04441.html/ ) at £24,450 but am open to reasonable offers below this and will include a tender and trailer within the price.
She is on the left side of the club (looking out to sea) and is the last boat on the left next to the water. If you are interested give me a call and I would be delighted to show you around.
Dave Quirk Tel 01962 736965
Sign Up he